Well tennis fans, it’s here…Day 1 of the French Open. The beginning of the end of clay court season, 2017. And just as the unpredictability of the bounce of the tennis ball and slide of the players on a court made of dirt, so does Day 1 begin.
As I write this morning, the tournament is a mere few hours old and we have already seen inevitable victory and defeat.
Defeat: Top seeded Angelique Kerber out in the first round. And it was quick. Don’t close your eyes for one single cat nap or you would miss it. Kerber is defeated 6-2, 6-2 by Ekaterina Makarova.
Victory: A HUGE victory, at that! Petra Kvitova wins her first round match after returning from injury. Back in December, she was stabbed during a home invasion, injuring her left hand (her playing hand). It was doubtful that she would even be able to play tennis again, but five months later, here she is. She does not have full use of her hand yet, but managed to win her first round match!
Her team was wearing the best shirts: Courage, Belief, P♥dj! Podj, you ask? It means “come on” in Czech.! So…..Podj, Petra, and welcome back!
As with every Grand Slam tournament, there are story lines to follow, and this 2017 French Open is no different.
- Will Rafa Nadal clinch his 10th win and the French Open? (likely)
- Will Andre Agassi help Novak Djokovic’s slump? (probably not)
- Will Djokovic’s new sponsor, Lacoste, help his slump? (probably not)
- With Serena Williams out due to her pregnancy, which woman will rise to the top? (Simona Halep, maybe)
- Will I ever learn how to convert kph to mph? (nope…doubtful)
Stay tuned, furry friends! I will keep you all up to date on the latest at the French Open…all from the comfort of my little corner of the sofa!