The 2017 French Open has really been shaping up to be two sides of the same coin. Maybe a little Jeckle and Hyde? Week one was full of emotional drama – tons of personal interest stories. Week two is getting down to the business of tennis.
Week one drama:
- We marveled at the comeback of Petra Kvitova who was stabbed during an attack during a home invasion just months earlier. The damage to her hand was so severe, the doctor didn’t know if she would be able to hold a racquet again, much less compete. Remarkably, she made it to the second round before being knocked out by US qualifier, Bethanie Mattek-Sands.
- We cheered, wept and openly grieved with Stevie Johnson, as he returns to competition after losing his father just weeks before the French Open. Surprisingly, he made it all the way through to round three before meeting up with Dominic “Sweep the Leg” Thiem. After an emotional second round match, he was spent, so I was not surprised that he had nothing left during the third round match.
- David Goffin, the 10th seed in the men’s draw, sprained his ankle while sliding on the clay to get a ball, getting his leg caught up in the folded tarp at the back of the court. He had to be carried off court by two guys because he couldn’t put any weight on his leg. I don’t know how this injury will effect the rest of his year. Certainly, he won’t be at Wimbledon, but hopefully back by the US Open?
Week two business:
- Will Rafa Nadal win his 10th French Open title? His game has been practically purrfect!
- Or will adding Andre Agassi to Novak Djokovic‘s coaching box help him defend his title?
- Who will win the women’s title? Every player left has never one a grand slam title.
- My dark horse pick in the men’s draw is Dominic Thiem! He has been so solid on the clay this year, I think he has a shot for the title!! Sweep the leg, Dominic!!
- My dark horse pick in the women’s draw is Karolina Pliskova. She’s currently ranks around 3-5, but as I predicted earlier this year, I see her as a top seed! #1 for Pliskova, please.
Week two, here we go! Let’s see what happens!